Tuesday, July 26, 2011

MISS AND MR MALAYSIA CAMPUS FINALS ON 7 AUGUST 2011 AT KL LIVE CENTRE

kee@fswmag.com

WELL, WELL, FINALLY A CONTEST EXCLUSIVELY FOR BRAINY ONES! TOO BAD I COULD NOT TAKE PART AS I AM A JUDGE FOR THE FINALS ON 7 AUGUST 2011 AT KL LIVE CENTRE!
9.jpg
Organiser and director of ADelicious Entertainment, the producer of Miss and Mr Malaysia Campus 2011 awarding a prize to a lucky winner at the semi-finals.


COME ONE, COME ALL! RM 150 FOR A 8-COURSE DINNER AND RM 80 FOR FREE SEATING UPSTAIRS! CONTACT JESSIE AT 012-2286 524 FOR TICKETS AND DETAILS. IT WILL BE A FUN, GLAMOROUS EVENING AND I AM STILL DECIDING WHETHER TO WEAR FEATHERS OR CRYSTALS...
2 (2)-1.JPG
Finalist Nabill Muhammad sees the world from a new angle as this is not trick photography! See the fire extinguisher as proof. If he wins, his world will turn upside down for sure.


FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, A TAILORMADE PAGEANT RESERVED ONLY FOR UNDERGRADUATES FROM MALAYSIAN CAMPUSES!
2-2.JPG
Makeover at SNIPS Salon
2-2.JPG
The ladies too enjoyed a makeover at SNIPS Salon
9.jpg
At rehearsal. Life is just fun and games ain't it
9.jpg
Keep Slim centre visit by contestants
9.jpg
Enthusiastic crowd cheering their heroes and heroines
9.jpg
Fashion show by contestants featuring the collection from Albert Oliver and William
9.jpg
Lovely ladies with brains
9.jpg
Celebrity host Dylan Liong at semi-finals
9.jpg
The finalists
9.jpg
Ryan, singer Christel from France, Johnny Chong and You Leong
9.jpg
Lydia, Chaw Mun Mun and Caryn
9.jpg
Brains and brawns; Johnny Chong, Soo Xu Ze and Karl
_Q8W5665-1.jpg
Nabill Muhammad is among the youngest at 18 and tallest at 183cm
9.jpg
Bulging muscles and loaded brains?
9.jpg
Joyce Leong wants to set good example and be a nutritionist. She certainly looks well fed and well endowed so she will succeed in her profession!



WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA! I WONDER WHY NO ONE BOTHERED TO ORGANISE SUCH A WORTHY, EVEN POLITICALLY CORRECT CONTEST SINCE ALL STUDENTS MUST HAVE BRAINS TO HAVE PASSED EXAMS AND ENTER AN INSTITUTION OF HIGHER LEARNING, COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY!

If there is a criteria for brains, being officially enrolled as an undergraduate is proof positive the student must definitely be in possession of grey matter. Or how else can he or she succeed in enrolling as student and have access to campus life?

And so Miss and Mr Malaysia Campus is a contest whose time has come!

The usual Miss Malaysia, Mr Malaysia, Model of the Year, Ford Supermodel of the Year and any number of beauty titles are open to any Malaysian regardless of education but Miss and Mr Malaysia Campus requires participants to be registered students in any local campus.

BRAVO FOR BEAUTIES WITH BRAINS!

Of course I always thought it would be a brilliant idea to organise such a contest reserved exclusively for undergrads only and sounded the idea to a few friends but did anyone bother?

It fell on organiser Adrian Winson, himself a good looker and current Mr Southeast Asia 2011/12 to take up the challenge! Kudos to him! And more power to him for inviting me to be a judge at the finals on Sunday 7 August 2011. Adrian Winson knows good taste and experience and expertise when he sees one!

I am really looking forward to judging the contest as over the years, I have judged various Miss Malaysia pageants as well as model competitions so I too can spot potential winners from a hundred paces!

More so when the Miss and Mr Malaysian Campus 2011 will showcase both intellect and physical beauty and I must admit I am a spectacular example!

Finally, a beauty contest that involves brains! No more snide remarks about brainless beauties or blur brawns as all participants for the upcoming Miss and Mr Malaysia Campus 2011/12 finals are undergraduates from local institutes of higher education.

Explains Adrian Winson, director of contest producer ADelicious Entertainment, “Sometimes there are unflattering remarks about beauty pageant winners and models being ‘dumb blondes’. Some Miss Malaysia contestants, winners and models are indeed very vain but most are educated and intelligent! It is so unfair to brand everyone in this industry as being flippant and shallow people interested only in their own looks and forever complaining about a new pimple or gym rules!

"This is unfair so I conceived the idea of a contest restricted only to male and female students from Malaysian campuses! After all, being enrolled in a college or university means the students must have brains so the winners will be beauties with brains. No one can now dispute their academic qualifications!”

Miss and Mr Malaysia Campus is an extension of the traditional Prom Queen and King for graduating high school students or Campus Queen and King for freshies. So while not new, this is the first time a proper pageant is being organised and finalists include those doing a second degree and Master’s.

Adrian Winson should know about skewed perceptions and prejudice as he is the current Mr South East Asia 2011/12. He recalls, “Once I was chatting with a banker at a cocktail. When he discovered I was Mr South East Asia he suddenly spoke in simple, basic English! He must thought I was unable to understand him if he spoke normally! There is always a bias against male models or Miss Malaysias so now there is a beauty pageant expressly created for brainy contestants.”

The response was encouraging. “Over 260 applied. We vetted and selected 60 for the audition and 33 made it for the semi-finals. Now there are 11 girls and 12 boys for the finals this 7 August 2011 at KL Live Centre.”

Yes there is one girl less. There should be 12 girls and 12 boys but a damsel broke a rule and was booted out and Adrian Winson was adamant there should be no replacement to be fair to all. So now the 11 female finalists stand a slightly improved chance!

Rules are more relaxed as this is neither a beauty nor model contest. “As long as he or she is a registered student, the other criteria are minimum height of 5ft 5 inches, ages between 18 and 28 and nice looks. Extra-curricular activities count and height, physique and good looks will be an advantage. This is not an academic examination so a top or average student stands an equal chance.”

If you notice, all things being equal, those who are taller, with fab bodies, kissable faces and pearly white, even teeth will win. Be it a beauty title, contract, promotion or the person of his or her dream! In China, some desperadoes will even go to the risky length of physically lengthening their legs! Yes,s uch surgery is possible and you can be up to 6 cm or more taller! The only downside is that you will have to stay in bed for around 6 months. Worse, if your feng shui is bad, one leg may be slightly longer than the other! This procedure involves surgically breaking your knees and then forcing the ligaments and muscles to slowly regrow but as they do so, your legs are slowly stretched so they will be longer once the muscles are reattached!

I am 178 cm and wish I am 180 or 183 or even a towering 185! So I guess shorties hovering at 160 for men and 150 for women must really be grinding their teeth each time some tall folks walk past them. My advice is to concentrate on their good points until no one notices their, er, shortcomings so to speak!

I did think of doing my nose but a sensible friend remarked for all I know, my nose is the generator or bringer of good luck and once it becomes sharper and less bulbous, my luck may change for the worse! But wrinkles and saggy skin from old age is another matter and once I look haggard, old and crumply, I will rush to Bangkok for plastic surgery!

Says 18 year old, 183cm and 75 kg finalist Nabill Muhammad, a Business Management student from SEGI College, Subang Jaya. He is so handsome and tall I almost suspected him of having done his face and lengthened his legs. But he is only 18 and still growing so I guess his looks are entirely natural and God-given. Well, my pearly white and perfect teeth was Dr Sean Paul-given! If you want Hollywood superstar teeth, go see him at Living Well Centre at Starhill, Phileo Damansara and Great Eastern Mall...but I digress. Back to Nabill! “I took part because I want exposure to promote my career as model. This is my first time in a contest and my options are open. I am excited and well prepared so I hope for the best. Since I am still young, I plan to just enjoy myself and the experience of being on stage. I am confident to win one of the titles but you never know until your name is announced! I want to see how far I can go.”

Jocelyn Leong, 22 yrs, 177 cm, 55 kg, says, “I am studying Food Science and Nutrition from Universiti Sedaya and plan to be a nutritionist or food pharmacist. I am a part time model so taking part in Miss Malaysia Campus seems a logical step. The experience can only help my career and add confidence to me. I hope to improve myself and learn from this contest. I am looking forward to the finals and want to set an example that you can have your cake and eat it too!”

Architecture student You Leong, 20 yrs, 180 cm, 60 kg from Limkokwing University of Creative Technology wants to juggle being an architect and actor/model. “I will graduate as architect, then shelve it to be an actor and model. I can work as architect once I pass 30!” He has appeared in a TV commercial for Lip Ice with Lisa Surihani and as an extra with dialogue in the forthcoming Malay movie ‘Azura’.

The winners will receive a USA made crown and sceptre worth RM 9,000 and prizes worth RM 250,000 for winners and subsidiary title holders.

The female winner will participate in Miss University World Korea in Seoul next year while the male winner will compete in a yet to be finalised contest.

MISS AND MR MALAYSIA CAMPUS FINALS AT KL LIVE CENTRE, JALAN SULTAN ISMAIL FROM 6.30PM. RM 150 FOR 8 COURSE DINNER. RM 80 FREE SEATING UPSTAIRS. CONTACT JESSIE 012 2286 524

The end

No comments: